An Insider’s Guide to Getting the Right Help (Without Going Broke).
(Marlowe & Co., November 2004)
From an experienced clinician passionate about opening therapy up to everyone – an all-in-one, no-nonsense guide to the complex world of mental health
Therapy practiced well by the right professional is an effective way to sort out a wide range of troubles, but how do you know if it’s right for you? In Therapy Demystified, Kate Scharff, an experienced clinical social worker and psychotherapist, decodes and destigmatizes psychotherapy for everyone who’s ever considered it, proving that good, affordable help is available to those who want it. Among the key questions Scharff answers are :
• How do I know if I should see a therapist?
• What are the different kinds of therapy, and why should I care?
• Where can I find a therapist I can afford?
• What should I expect (and ask) within the first few sessions?
• How can I tell if a therapist is right for me?
• How can I tell if therapy is working?
• Is there any truth to the bad things I’ve heard about therapy and therapists?
• What should I do if my child or another loved one needs therapy?
Therapy Demystified empowers everyone to become an educated therapy consumer. If you’ve ever considered therapy but felt skeptical or confused, or if you are currently receiving therapy but aren’t sure if you’re getting the most out of it – this book is for you.